<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

buried alive in books... on my birthday.


It' was queer celebrating my birthday all by myself. All my life, i've been always surrounded by family and friends on this date, with a cake or even a party thrown in for good measure. THis year was different. I was miles away from sunny singapore, and oceans apart from my loved ones. The mUMsgang were really wonderful, amidst the frenzied studying for the exams, they managed to ambush me before i returned to hiding in the library on the last day of school and presented me with a delicious apple crumble cake baked by Nic. Unfortunately, my cake cutting skills leave a lot to be desired because the cake crumbled contemptously when i sunk the knife into it.

But that was Friday, on the day itself, I awoke to a grey cold morning with the plan to go to school and engage in another mind number marothon against time. Met HH down in town for lunch before we trudged miserably to the library. Basically, it kinda sucked. Like my sister said, you don't really appreciate what's there till it's gone. I recall fighting with my siblings in previous birthdays, birthday's that ended in tears, and others that were filled with riotous parties that turned the house upside down. Never before did I have to spend a birthday with a pile of textbooks. How i yearned to see my mom's face, to get lost in the riot of hugs and kisses from my family. To be serenaded by their tuneless rendition of Happy birthday, to see the mischievious grins of my siblings who allowed their don't careish veneers to be lifted on this special day and to openly admit their affection for me on this special day.


I sighed, fliipped the page of my lecture notes. The library was stiflingly crowded. I squirmed and tried to assume a more dignified pose , kicking AN ,who was sitting across the table, squarely in the shin during the process . It was too depressing for words. Here I was surrounded by people but feeling incredibly alone. HH had disappeared behind a pile of neurobooks in a carrell, and i was sitting with an acquintence from vet school and my friend An ,who was a closet stand up comedian by night and 4th year post grad med student by day. Then my phone buzzed, rudely startling me out of my reviere and prompting a series of frenzied shushes from An . I stuck my tongue at him and went for my handphone.

A few sms wishing me well on my birthday came in.

Thank goodness for my friends. the messages put a smile on my face, and left their simple message in my heart.

Suddenly, it all seemed easier to bear.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?