<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 21, 2004

ER ? more like scrubs


When ppl think about doctors, they usually conjure up images of cool people in surgical scrubs or white coats who have really interesting lives ( and love lives). Well, someone forgot remind them about the hours spent cooped up at home and in the library studying endless stacks of notes and the total lack of social life. ANd, no.. med students and doctors don't always look so cool and poised aka ER. Life is ... more like scrubs i suppose.

Clinical exam.

We were one jittery bunch of med students sitting in patient's lounge outside the wards, waiting to be called in to be shown our patient. It was like playing russian roulette.. get a tough patient ( eg. one with dementia ) and screw your exam. Faraz was talking crap ( wat's new) trying to keep our spirits up, but most of uz were juz fiddling with our stethescopes and trying to recall the places where we were supposed to place the bell. I had had very little patient contact this semester , in fact none, no thanks to my lousy tutor ( who was also my examiner) so i was doubly edgey.

After what seemed like forever, it was finally my turn. The patient looked quite bored already ( post 5 med studnets ) . I examined his peripheries and then told him > " now i'm gonna have a listen at your chest." I plugged in my stethescope and told him to breath in and out. Well, the paitent was taking big breathes but i couldn't hear a darn thing.. hmm. obstruction??? no .. Wait.. living dead/? nonono.. can't be. Ahhh. , stethescope was the wrong way in. URGH. my face burning wiht embarrasement,i sheepishly apologised and repeated the procedure.

I rushed thru the whole thing and scooted out of the room. As i made my way back to the group, one of the dudes looked at me and asked what had happened? I realised i had been gone only for a couple of minutes... that was a quickie .


Scrubs.

No not the show, i mean i had to wear scrubs. I was trying to look for the supervisor for the anaesthetics depart in the Royal melboure hospital, and so far, the receptionist have been sending me running lal over the hosp to look for the doctor.. WHen i finally got to the right place ( which was the place i first looked when i arrived) i received instructions to put on some surgical wear and then go to the op theatre to find the doc.. So i found myself in the changing room.. holding to wat i thot was a cap. I was aobut to pop it on my head when this lady ( who was watching me quizzically) told me that was supposed to go over my shoes. Oh.

The pants were way to big.. with a split that showed my undies to good advantage.. cough. lucky it could be covered by my top. I stumbled into the op theatre 11, and caught a glimpse of my supervisor before he disappeared into another theatre.. ah well. so i struck up an akward converstaion with a very nervous paitent who was waiting to be operated on. After waiting for half an hour, i figured i had to rush back for class, so a kind regristra ( whom i had been also conversing with ) tried to look for the doctor. and he had DISAPPEARED again!!! goodness. We tracke dhim down and finally he could talk to me and show me a quickie tour of the ops. We peekd into 2 surgeries.. a bit weird like there was music on and everyone was like walking in and out of the rooms.

THen after that, I quickly changed and raced all the way back for anat pract. But all in all it was pretty interesting. may consdier it for AMS..

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?