<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 16, 2004

I"ve a test tomolo.. and my exams are coming up.. ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ANyway, today, i was previledged to have the opportunity to help out at this BBQ for disabled kids. LZ, me , J9, Matt and Julie were amongst the few melbourne uni students who showed up to help out. The bbq was organised by Jenna, a politics student at melbourne uni. SHe was awesome. I mean really. Her enthusiasm was so infectious, she had me excited during every meeting to plan the event. Every time we met, she would whip all of us up into a frenzy of planning! Even though there was a test hanging omimously over my head and i had started to regret my decision to help out, every meeting would fuel my determination to go through with my promise and boy am i glad that I did.
Her whole family was involved with the running of the event.

Interchange was a programme for disabled kids run by volunteers. It aimed to help look after the kids ofr one day of the week to give the families of the children a break. Jenna has been volunteering with them for 5 years and she extended the invivation to some studnets from the uni to help out. Lz was recruited through a leadership prog she was attending and me and j9 decided to tag along to help out.

I was really glad i went. I mean, even with the test bearing down on me, and my revision in a big big big mess.. i can't find a slightest tinge of regret in my heart after the bbq. Matt and Jul came to my house on sat to practise for our perfomrance we were going to put up for lunch time. It was sooo lovely to be amongst ppl who shared the same love for music. We had a great time foooling around, singing and playing our instruments. I realised how bad i was with the piano after been out of practise for one year sob..
matt and jul were both AWESOME with the piano.. gosh. so talented! mAtt had this extrordinary no. of scores in his head.. like he could juz listen to the song and play and sing it. :P wish wish wish i had half of his talent.

At the bbq, i was shuffled around awkardly at first, didn't know what to doTHe kids were all being entertained, and everyoine seemed occupied accept for us. We all started wondering if it was mistake to come. But soon.. things started picking up. MAtt, jul and I pulled off a lunch performance. HT ekids were a great audience, really encouraging :) Really enjoyed perfomring for them although I screwed up most of the songs.and SCREAM!! i got to actaully play an ELECTRIC guitar!!!! Ahh.. dream come true man.. haha.. We had a really delectable bbq. and then we organised a passing the parcel game of teh kids. It was sooo sweet , one of the kids managed to get a prize and she immediately gave both her chocs to matt.. ! We organised a limbo comp .. nearly broke my back tho' :) THe kids had lotsa fun. ONe of them was soooo determined to win the comp. She did really well in limbo and she got lotsa prizes for the rest of the comp too! I struck up a conversation with her after notciing her Eminem shirt.. Yay!!! EMINEM RULEZ!

Then we played musical broomsticks.. with Matt dressed as harry potter. holy cow. we were all in giggles after he walked out.. But yeah, the game was real cool. Even those in wheelchairs got involved in the limbo and the broomsticks ;) THere was also face paiting , but i never got to try that out We had to leave early coz we had to study for the test. As I lingered in the garden of the court house, I spotted T, the gal who won the limbo comp staring at her reflection in the mirror ( post face paiting). I got her to take a photo with me.... A memo to this beautiful day with this very very special people.


It was a really cool opportunity to get to interact with these kids..and i got to know matt and julie much better too.i thoroughly enjoyed myself and i'll treasure this memory for a really long time.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?