<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 12, 2004

ABstinence vs Condoms.

After speaking to a fren last tuesday, it got me thinking about pre-marital sex and it's implications to young people in today's society. It was a bit frightening to think about people my age getting married and having kids. I still feel like a child myself in so many ways, although I"ve hit 20. If i were living in the past, I would probably have been long married and had goodness knows how many kids of my own. Yet here I am, rotting at home in front of the internet, hanging with my buds, studying my ass off. I'm young, i'm fiery, i'm still that rotten spoilt bitch. I'm still so immature.


I can't imagine having a baby in my life. It just doesn't fit in anywhere.. not in my life at uni, not in my life with my frens. I wouldn't have the maturiy or the capability to bring it up or give it the life it deserved. I was lamenting to Mew, how in the world did these kids get themselves into this situation.

I advocate post-marital sex, but lz pointed out that this was no longer feasible in today's modern world. It's true that i can't generalise pre-marital sex as been immoral. Even Buddhism says that pre-marital sex is not a sin if it is done with 2 consenting , responsible adults. With co-habiting become more an more common and marraiges taking place when ppl are well into their 30s.. it has become impractical to condemn pre-marital sex.Quite a few pple I know co-habit, and have pre-marital sex. ANd they are all responsible, decent ppl who are clearheaded and have goals in life.

Lz pointed that maybe it was more useful to pass out condoms and educate the young about the consequences of pre-marital sex. I agree with you gal, but I still feel that we should discourage pre-marital sex with the young ppl. Coz if you just drop condoms on their lap w/o discouraging pre-marital sex, everone will have the conception that pre-marital sex is ok, even if you're not mature or ready to handle any of the consequences. Even at 20, it doens't mean that it's ok to have sex. THe act of copulation is a process primarily meant for pro creation. Sure it's enjoyable and yeah, it may be hard to stop when you're in teh heat of the mmt, coz that's wat our bodies are programmed for.. to reproduced. But man has complicated matters by carving out the many roles we need to play in society. And our responsiblites do not just include procreation per se. If you don't encourage abstinence among the teens and young adults, you lose the last strand of drive that is needed to keep these young lives from being irreveribly damaged by the arrival of an unwanted infant. True, it's useless to promote pre-marital sex coz you can't stop culture from changing. But it still stands as a bold reminder that pre-marital sex is no good for you if you can't take the consequences. It's not a clean black and white reasoning, but i don't see any other way you can keep ppl from fucking each other and then fucking up their lives.

so condoms or abstience.. i think they're both essential. It's really no fun changing diapers when your peers are still growing up themselves. True, the story doesn't have to be sad all the time. But i can't imainge losing out the "youthful" years of my life juz coz i couldn't control my desires. I still advocate abstinece :) regardless of wat society thinks. call me an old fogey, but i'm playing it safe.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?