<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Immeasurable light and beauty

Went for service on Sunday again. A group of Fo Guang shan Buddhist Devotees went on a pilgrimage to India. It was awesome seeing photos of Buddha's birthplace, his place of meditation and the place he attained enlightenment....

I was pretty skeptical when teh reverend started the lecture on teh 48 vows of Amitabha Buddha. But after I pondered upon it, I realised it made sense. I still struggle with the concept of a western pure land, but the vows of trying to purify your thought, your mind , your speech and your surroundings make perfect sense in the context of our world. His teachings reminded me the importance of reflection on the concept of cause and effect. One of the vows that came up owas actually on appearance! :) i always wondered how a Buddhist could groom herself if she wasn't supposed to be attached to her appearance.. Well. the fact is that we DO have to take care opf our appearance, because it gives pple a good impression and it brings joy to other people knowing that you're in a good mental state to care about your appearance. The crux is you dno't become OBSESSED with your appearance.. :) yup.. there was also some talk about beautifying the surroudnings.. hey let's go with teh keep singapore clean and green campaign.


just received annual report from Fo guang shan young adults group. Hai.. miss Saturday prayers back in Melb, having lunch with the team and our afternoon discussion classes. I wished I had grasped the cause and conditions and interacted more with my class and Rev. Miaoyu. I hope I have more chances in teh future. My time in Singapore is too short to really settle into the activites at Fo guang shan singapore. I am grateful to know that I have the chance to hear the Dharma being preachedd ruing my holz.. :) yay! The sutras are chanted in a really really nice melodic way.. i guess coz there are more reverends here than in my temple in melbourne. Saw Buddhist choir practise on teh programmes.. hmm. wanted to check it out, but the timing was too late..



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?