<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 15, 2005

of boobs, butts, bras, suffering and kids


This week was an interesting one. It started with me lamenting about my current rotting status on Monday. yez. i've actually been rotting for a month over. wowz!!! amazing. I figured.. Shit. i've to do smth about it.I coudlnt' find a job, so i kinda gave up on that one. inspired by my Bfellowship brother John, I decided to seek out an organisation to volunteer with. I scanned thru the website and called up some org., but the sad thing now is there are so many strings attached to the openings. You can't volunteer if you can't commit for at least 6 mths.So i was left out in the cold. Just as I was feelign dejected, i got a call from HH. turns out my old job agent Felicia was looknig for someone to take a job. Felicia called me soon after and to my pleasent surprise, I found myself getting 2 job offers in one day. HH also told me that the org. she was working with called yong en care center in china town was lookingf ro volunteers to give under priv kids tuition. So in just one day 's notice.. i found myself armed with both a job and a volunteer job. yay!!! So happy.

I working with ( drum roll) ... Triumph international ( i see raised eyebrows) no. i'm not measruing boob size. working as a marketing secretary. my "boss" Jac is really really nice. Kinda enjoy work even tho' it's mundane smtimes. She keeps feeding me.! argh.. growing fat :P But i swear that it's every guys' fantasy job. C'mon, the walls , calanders are just plastered with gorgeous gals scantily clad in their undies. ( can see lz shaking her head, yez it's so like dirty minded me to notice those :P ) I think any of my guy frens would give an arm and a leg to be working in here. LOL. it's an interesting experience seeing the inside of how this international business is runned.

Volunteer work: Yong en care center is a center set up by the Fairfield methodist church to help old ppl with dementia get some exercise and spend their time with frens. At night, tuition courses are run at a minimal costs for needy kids. I was tutoring pr 5 with HH that day. Had 4 charges.. 2 of whom drove me mad. haha..one of them was soo cheeky. the other just diam diam je.. and refused to do anything i asked him to. I can't figure out how to help them much , but i must say that cheeky as they are, they grow on you. The first day had no agenda so i was left to cough up some interesting activity for the kids to do. Fortunately i discovered that all the kids and me share the same passion for drawing. and the kids all love ghost stories. So i got them to write a short paragraph about their experience getting stuck in the lift. 2 wrote ghost stories.. 2 wrote more normal versions. All drew really really well. :) impressive. I'm no Aiyoyo lao shi, or Torey Hayden ( whom i desperately need now) .. hopefully i can really help these kids. My partner in crime HH had to relief teach pr. 4.

I can picture my frens raising eyebrows.. xl tutor kids??? hahahaha. yeah, i'm very infamous for my apparent lack of rapport with kids. I expect all of them to behave like my bro who is rather mature for his age.. ie.. act like a little adult. I supposed it was easier coz i was dealing with kids the same age as my bro, so i could sorta bond easier with 'em. Tutoring was tiring, but it was fufililng and it wasn't as much of a nightmare as i predicted it to be. :P

Actually i didn't know that so many volunteers were needed in spore. I hope to volunteer on a longer term basis when i'm back here in spore.for 1 year :)


Was reading the papers today about the aid distribution in Sri lanka and aceh. Apparently some religious groups were taking advantage of the situation to gain new converts. hai.. the big debate again. Ok.. this is a personal view, i won't declare it's the right one, so pls don't get offended. I think it's a little unethical to mix up relief work with religion. Even on missions overseas, regardless of tsunami or not. I feel religion is a choice you make when you're open to all options. Sometimes your circumstances force you to be dependent on external aid and this makes your mind a very vulnerable entity. It's awful when you 're denied access to medical care because ( i quote from the papers) you refuse to declare yourself a believer. One aid agency WorldAid wanted to place 50 orphans in it religious home because they wanted to convert the kids. Due to backlash from the community, it later withdrew its statement. I suppose the passion for their religion and the want to help spread is word drives the actions of these ppl. But take a step back and think like an athiest for once.. are you being fair to this ppl? Will the dead parents of the kids toss in their graves because if their kids have been forcibly extracated from the camps and exposed so zealoulsy to another religion that they have no choice but to adopt it as their own.? The papers mentioned that "several religious groups have used the situation to their advantage to recruit more members". Now, i'd like to commend religious groups for taking the initiative to help.. some are more sensitive to the issues, covering up religious symbols and helping the ppl regardless of race or faith.

I'm glad to see that Buddhism hasn't been mentioned yet by the papers ( perhaps there are such Buddhist group out there, i've no idea, i hope not tho' ) as one of those zealous group . Buddha did preach that faith is a choice made by men and regardless of whether he believes in the Dharma, it still applies to him, no one is condemned for not believing in the Dharma. BF has sent a team down on a Fire fly mission ( they were in the papers!!!!_)I'm glad to see my Dharma sisters and brothers working to elleviate suffering , I'm glad to know that they work out of compassion and loving kindness and not becuase they crave to recruit the sentient beings who don't believe in the Dharma. Craving is the root of suffering. Looking at Australia and how the Aboriginals were forced to abandone their culture to embrace the culture and religion of their invaders, I see how the wise words of Buddha apply.

so it was a very hectic week, but fufilling one. goodness, i didn't even get to eat dinner with my family for almost the whole week. I leave when it's dark, i come back when it's dark. heh. If only the talk at ttsh was today, coz i' was looking forward the whole week to Bfellowship. but i've to miss it for the talk. I guess i'll try serivce at the Bfellowship this sunday, then head to ttsh later.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?