<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 31, 2005

The rrrrrrisk we rrrrun.

" it's ok, " J assured me when he saw my crestfallen face. " I understand most ppl have misgivings about motorbikes."

We trudged along further while I held a raging debate within myself. My mind was telling me " Go for it babe!! You've never ridden a motorbike b4" But there was a tiny voice screaming in the back of my head.. " Mom will freak BIG time if she sees you on that thing."

In the end, i turned down J's kind offer and took the boring but less hair raising mrt train back. I guess i kinda regret foregoing the chance to race along the roads on a motorbike but i know my mom would never forgive me if i had hopped onto that seat.

You might say that thousands of ppl ride motorbikes everyday they arrive at their destinations unscathed. . J's been riding for some time and he did give another of our BFyouth members a lift to Jurong earlier that day. THey both arrived in one piece. Wat made me say no? I guess I am still pretty shaken from witnessing the car accident at Bedok 2 weeks ago where a car swerved into a motorbike, flinging the rider off his seat and right into the pavement beside the road. The terrifyingly loud bang and the sight of a flailing and helpless human body sailing through the air as an unwilling victim of gravity and Newton's laws served as an alarm bell to curb my craving for a ride on the bike. THe fact was that if that motorbike had been a car, the injuries inflicted would probalby have been less severe. It's a hard cold fact that bikes generally offer less protection to their riders. And i guess i didn't want my mom to worry.
My dad probably would have disapproved but I doubt he would have hit the roof. After all, he had a motorcycle license once. And my dad has an appetite for risk taking and adventure ( He called my mom once and asked her if he could go sky diving .. LOL.. no prizes for guessing her rxn.

The notion of wearing a helmet and roaring down the expressway with the wind whipping watever's left of my hair post helmet , plus cool dude thrown in sounds pretty exhilerating. But I assessed the risks ( including that of going deaf if my mom finds out) and made my decision. Call me a paranoid, boring ole biscuit.. but i 'd like to play things safe.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?