<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Watched Budak with half of mumsg, HH, nK and jaz and the other XL ( the i stress.. not so authentic one.. *smirk*) . Well, it was held in the aud thiz time. Budak was as entertaining as ever, but they gave me the impression that they were tired. But nevertheless, it was another wonderful session to juz sit back and let acap music take hold. COuldn't really see them tho'. coz of my vertically challenged nature, coz this idiot in front of me was holding a video cam up which strategically blocked whoever I was trying to see... the acoustics were good... a tad crowded tho'. i like the open concept of cafe blue moo on teh roof top.


mew: JIA YOU!!!!! * grabs pompoms * You can do it gal! you can do it gal! DOn't give up. * grabs millipedes off the wall* your frens are also rooting for you! ... and to counter the claim that you said you held the record, i just heard that someone has a record twice as big as yours, so don't worry..

Still listening to Tanya Chua's version of Drops of Jupiter. I"m obsessed with that song. I"ve been listening to it on repeat on my mp3..


Now that she’s back in the atmosphere
With drops of jupiter in her hair, hey, hey
She acts like summer and walks like rain
Reminds me that there’s time to change, hey, hey
Since the return from her stay on the moon
She listens like spring and she talks like june, hey, hey
Tell me did you sail across the sun
Did you make it to the milky way to see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated
Tell me, did you fall for a shooting star
One without a permanent scar
And did you miss me while you were looking at yourself out there


realised that my music standard as deteriotated steadily to the point where I can no longer listen and play by ear ( i doubt i ever had that ability actually, judging from my teache'rs rxn last time in yamaha) . Groan.. it's eating into me, not being able to script this song. Ahhhhhh... and i'm driving everyone nuts by playing it again and again. but i'm still stuck at the first chord..

Actually, all that piano training for nothing. I feel guitly sometimes looking at my cert on the wall. My parents paid so much for my music education and it kinda amounted to nothing. THey forked out so much for my pianos ( an upright and later a grand) which is now sitting pretty and mostly unused in my house. They paid for my music education at Yamaha, private piano lessons, blahblah.. i struggled in Yamaha actually. My mom pleaded with the teacher to lemme into the JSAC class ( junior special advance course) altho'i was never shortlisted int eh first place. After granting me a 2nd audition, the teacher yielded to my mom's request. I recall sitting like a blur sotong at my elect. keyboard and not really understanding wat was expected of me. Group classes were like some sort of ego crusher. Everyone seemed to be able to spontaneously compose, improvise, play by ear, perform... they played like true music prodigies.. ( which were wat they were ) . It frustrated me so much.. I had no idea why the music flowed so easily for them. There seemed to be an unsurmountable barrier for me in every task the teacher asked me to do. If he asked me to play back a tune by ear, I couldn't do it. The notes just wouldn't come. I was utterly at a lost. I just sat at the piano and banged out some really irrelevent nonsense. When he asked me to tranpose the piece, I coudln't do it. It wasn't natural, sure.. if he gave me more time to pract, mebbe i could have done it, but i sure coudln't do it impromtu. When they asked me to do variations and improvisations, I gave the most simple or the most ridiculolus variation ever ( which ever came into my mind first) . I remember my compositions sucked the worse. My fren's compositions were good enuff to be exhibited in public.. Mine never made it pass the first round. yeah, i think the furthest I got was having my comp recorded and sent to Japan .. some card came back to me thanking me for my participation.

My music teachers ranged from downright abusive to the utterly exasperated. One of them vented his frustrations on me. He pushed me off the piano bench, slammed my head onto the keyboard, pulled my hair hard, jabbed me on my temples, beat my hand.
I thot I was being teh awful student, so i kept silent, biting back my lips to prevent the tears from coming every lesson. I retied my dishevelled ponytails, picked myself up from teh floor after being jabbed down by him and tried again.. and again and again. nothing seemed to please this madman. I would rejoice silently when he left the room to go to teh toilet ( which he did really often). I would tremble when I heard his footsteps approach the door. It was until my mom discovered red markings and bruisings on my arms and confronted him that the whole ordeal drew to a halt. btw, that teacher had to go for anger management treatment. I remember the only lesson I had that went w/o physical abuse was when I told him it was my birthday. I think i was only primary 2 at that time.

I was placed under another teacher. He was an excellent teacher.. but unfortunatley, the same could not be said of his pupil. Well.. let's just say that instead of banging my head on teh keyboard , he banged his own head on teh keyboard.

After years of feeling extremely inferior to my peers, I decided to quit. that was in Sec3 i think. I had endured about 7 years of that nightmarish experience in JSAC and later SSAC. I was acutally a few months short of graduating.. but i really had to throw in the towel. Well, the whole expericen wasn't great, but there were fleeting mmts of enjoyment i suppose. I liike performing in a group.. One of my favs was being a percussionist playing and dancing to flint stones ( iwas not praised for being the best percussionist, but i did draw some good comments for my dancing.. hai.. unrelatedto my music ed tho'.)

Ironically, I decided to take up MEP in school ( hahahahah.. ) . so it started again, being stuck in a class full of music geniuses, looking extremely blur during theory lessons.. I was with a private music teacher that time.. she was relaly nice, but she dind't really encourage me to discoveahr new pieces of music other than my exam pieces. I gave up MEP after that.. well.i think out of teh class of 20, only 2 remained in teh end.. LOL. I finished a diploma shortly before MEP because I thought it would help me with my MEP. yeah. right. waste of $$


Yeah.. so if you ask me what grade i have in piano.. and I tell you i have a diploma... pls spare me the "wahhh.." and the "whoa" coz i tell you.. i'm not up to scratch at all. I've seen pple with grade 8 piano certs perform much better than me. I think at the present, the most i can tickle out on teh piano is some pop /jazz pieces..

So you might think that ends my turbulent love hate relationship with music??? nah.. more came. Choir singing, acapella... and the disasters tat followed. Now i finally settled on something I love.. guitar playing. It's self taught, i'm not getting very far.. but for once in my life, I 've found music in a form that i truly adore. Singing and playing my baobei. pure blisss..... :P free from the pressures of music exam, free from the pressures to perform, free from expectations of frens and family to be some music genius, free from the politics of singing in a group.. juz me and my guitar.. oh yeah!

" pull up your socks ! I've no idea how you actually got into this course in the first place" - my 1st jsac teacher.

" why can't you .." *poke* " play " * poke* " ... Properly?????" * poke poke crash* - JSAC teacher no. 2

poke+ pulling ponytail + beating = xtra bruises( not xtra motivation).. - lessons with jsac teacher no. 2

" blur sotong.. you know wat that is?" - jsac teacher no 3

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?