<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 17, 2005

It’s just a stage he’s going thru.

They say that Melbourne is the capital of Culture down under. I haven’t really seen any shows that bear testimony to that statement yet. The closest I probably came to savouring it was Moomba festival. But the country is alive with talent. You see it in the buskers on the streets: The ubiquitious guitarists, the guy with the dog on Bourke street singing.. “ how much is that doggy in the window..”, the African drummers I see on my way to Temple every Saturday, the little gal with the electric guitar by Elizabeth street, the lady with accordian, the fire juggler by Yarra river…. It’s an incredible melting pot of talent.

I went to watch some of the free shows from the comedy festivals. There was this dude dressed like someone out of an Adam’s Family show trying to make ppl laugh. Well, he wasn’t really that hilarious, but the audience was utterly supportive. They laughed, squealed, cheered him on and enthusiastically responded to his slapstick antics. Kudos to the little volunteer who kept the audience in fits by messing up the comedian’s routines.

Aussie humour? I like the American humour, don’t really get the ozzie jokes sometimes. So some of the jokes by the next standup comedian left me scratching my head and muttering.. “ hey?”

The next act was great. The moment I saw 3 guys and 2 guitars, I perked up. They were called Tripod. They were soooo spontaneous and natural. And their parodies… they just kept everyone in fits. Even while they were subtly trying to preach Christianity to their audience, they did it in such a hilarious way that the audience lapped it up. Hmm.. if I only we had enough talent and spontaneity to do that next week when my group gets to use that very same stage. But I doubt that the Abbess would be impressed tho’.
A group of oblivious passersby merrily sauntered across the space between the audience and the performers , eliciting yaps of annoyance from the 3 comedians. The passersby grinned and waved back.

“ Never mind them, “ one of the comedians said. “ It’s just a stage they are going through.”

I was literally freezing my ass off sitting on the ground, but it was worth it. I loved their harmony.. the guitar.. the jokes . Reminds me so much of the time I watched Toxic Audio. ( and drooling over the lead vocal percussinist.. all together now… “Paaaaaaaaaaaulllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!” I hear an echo from my fellow rabid fan in Cambridge. I’d better stop here, b4 I reawaken the latent crush for that cute hunk.. ARGH)

We hurried inside to catch a couple of short films. Stumbling over rows and rows of occupied seats and legs ( and eliciting tsking and yelps from the inevitably squashed toes), we managed to locate seats in the crowded auditorium in Federation square. Some of the films were quite duh, I didn’t’ understand some others… some were downright hilarious. Apparently it was actually a competition or smth. Most of the seats were occupied by judges .. Something I only found out after we hurried off. Whoopz, I hope I didn’t step on the wrong toes.

I was supposed to catch another stand up comedian, but the tix were sold out. So ah well. But I’d definitely give the melb comedy festival another shot.

I didn’t realize how beautiful Fed square actually looks at night when there are festivities. I hope Buddha’s Day will look equally good, if not better! With the ferris wheel at the back, the acts on the stage, the ppl mingling around, the church bells incessantly ringing ( much to the amusement of us and the irritation of the performaners)

Caught the movie Hitch. I didn’t really think it was that great a show. Nonetheless, it was not bad a show. The lines were witty, and Will Smith was perfect for the role of Alex Hitch, this dude who made a living out of creating opportunities for the hopeless of the male species to gain a foothold in the competitive, the dangerous and the daunting dating game. I love the part where Hitch picked up the cynical female lead . He sorta danced in and out of reading her bitter and cynical mind, teasing her slightly and leaving her curious to find out more.

I think that female lead reminds me tons of myself. . The female heart is a dangerous thing to possess. It’s so weak, so easily swayed, so easily broken. Blame it on our hormones. We’ve gotta protect ourselves.. so that’s why we lay on the layers. Fortify ourselves.. guard and cacoon ourselves.


the only other thing on my mind was... OMG. Imagine all the CMV and EBV transmission during filming. and OMGOMGOMG.. TYPE ONE HYPERSENSITIVITY!!!!!! the perfect example of it too!!!

hai.. mebbe it's just a stage i'm going thur :)


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?